ደብተራ:አለቃ:መሪጌታ..... ?እስኪ አብራሩ

Topics related to cultures, arts, languages, arts such as humor, music, traditional literary genres of poems, ግጥም ፣ ቅኔ ፣ ተረትና ምሳሌ)

ደብተራ:አለቃ:መሪጌታ..... ?እስኪ አብራሩ

Postby ሽማግሌው » Sun Nov 12, 2006 8:48 pm

ጠያቂው
http://www.medrekforum.com/viewforum.php?f=6
በሉ እስኪ በዘኬ ያደጋችሁ ግለጹ ለዚህ ተማሪ ::

Be Sem-e Ab we Wul we Menfis Qeddus Ahadu Amlak Amin

Igziabher ke hullaccin gar yihun

I would like to know if there is somebody able to explain me certain obscure points concerning hierarchical titles within Innataccin Tewahedo Bete Krestyan. Being raised in the West, where even Tewahedo churches are organized in a totally different way, I have a certain confusion about certain roles and titles traditionally held in Aggheraccin Ityopia.

Question 1: Debtera. I read on many books, including Hailu Degne in the EOTC sponsored book The Ethiopian Church A Panorama of History and Spiritual Life, Haddis Abeba 1970”, that Debterat, who are widely respected as keepers of the sacred knowledge, are usually laymen (hizb) and not priests (kahinnat) nor dyakonat. This basically means that also if they acquire a greater knowledge than average priests and therefore they have their specific role within the Church, they have not been ordained as priests and they cannot perform Mass nor bless the crowds. This is also what is said by Ethiopian scholars as Ephraim Isaac and Western scholars such as Munro-Hay and Pankhurst. On the other hand, everytime I asked to Ethiopian people they told me that Debterat are members of the clergy and are not like hizb (people). Can anybody explain how the things really are? The point is of a crucial importance because it would be a further element of continuity with Biblical Israel if the Debterat are laymen: in fact, also in ancient Israel beside the Aronite priests there where the Soferim, the Scribes, keepers of the holy sciences, who were not priests and could not perform in the Temple, but were highly respected for their knowledge. As far as I know, Debtera also means scribe and Debterat are the experts of Andemta Tergwamie, Qenie, Zema and Aqwaqwam.

Question 2: The same thing applies to more specific titles like Aleqa, Memhir, Merigeta or Mesabie. I know the literal meanings of these titles, but I would like to know if the titles apply only to priests or equally to lay Debtera.
For example, when I was in Entotto Maryam Bete Krestyan I met an elder man with beard and timtim (white turban), who was known as Merigeta and respected as such by everybody in the Church. Seeing his turban I thought he was a priest and I asked for a blessing (yibarkugn), but he told me "seltan yellignm" or I have not the authority, meaning with this he was not a priest. But he was Merigeta and keeper of knowledge. Few days after, I was in Haddis Abeba, near Qeddest Maryam, and I met a man who told me he was Merigeta: this time I did not ask for blessing, thinking he was not a priest, but soon he took out his Mesqel from the garments and blessed me! How the things are therefore?

Betam Ameseghenallehu Igziabher yibarkn
ሽማግሌው
ዋና ኮትኳች
ዋና ኮትኳች

Postby ቅዱስ ኪዳን » Sat Sep 14, 2013 4:12 pm

A similar question was raised in the Q&A section of [h] website; therefore I found it necessary to insert the link[], as well as, copy & paste it hereunder!

From Yared

In the Name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit, One God

Venerable Father,

I am writing You because of some doubts which trouble me because I do not have any answer. Please answer me as soon as You can. Sorry if I tell You so.

1) Does the Ethiopian Church consider celibacy superior to marriage in the eyes of God and thus for reward in the life to come?

2) Are the ordained members of the Church (priests) to be considered better individuals (morally and humanely superior) than the other members of the Church, or do they simply need to be revered because of their ritual sacredness?

3) Are the dabtara and the liqawunt necessarily ordained members of the Church, or are they usually lay members?

Thank You very much, I hope for Your answers. Yibarkugn.
Your son

1st Response to Yared's questions :-
Dear Ato Yared:

Thank you for your recent email.
Before providing you with the answers to your questions, we need to identify the Church which you are referring to, so that we are not confused in dealing with the subject-matter. We assume you are referring to the so-called "Ethiopian Coptic Orthodox Tewah'do Church" whose clergy and laity at home and abroad had accepted and recognized its present status as currently run by its two synods, with the one at home and the other abroad. This Church is the one that continues to suffer under the Divine Condemnation, since its flagrant partnership, in 1967 E.C., with "the evil, adulterous and apostate generation" represented by the atheistic rule of the Derg, which partnership amounted to the denial of the Holy Covenant by the same Church.
In consideration of this fact, we, in the Services of Ethiopia: The Kingdom of God, could not answer for any of the actions committed by the abovementioned Church, and have nothing to do with the same Church, including its clerical and lay membership, as well as its hierarchical leadership and policy. Why? Simply because this Church is no more Ethiopian: It is a branch Church in Ethiopia of the Coptic (Egyptian) Orthodox Church, created in the years around 330 A.D., and is considered just like those Churches that are themselves branch churches in Ethiopia of their Head Churches based abroad, such as the Greek and the Armenian Orthodox Churches, the Catholic Church and the various Evangelical and Protestant Churches operating in Ethiopia.
The main Church in Cairo (or Alexandria, Egypt) that is called "the Coptic (Egyptian) Orthodox Church" and its branch Church in Ethiopia that is called "Ethiopian Coptic Orthodox Tewah'do Church" both claim publicly, officially and legally, to have, the latter, been established in the 4th Century A.D. Whereas the Church that we are serving is "The Church of Ethiopia" whose date of inception by God Himself goes back to the time of the Creation of Adam and Eve; and Her uninterrupted independent existence spans 7500 years of age.
This is how we express the Divine Truth about our "Church of Ethiopia" in the Prayer of Our Creed: "We believe in the One Church of The Holy Covenant that was founded by the Word of God, Jesus Christ, initially, in the Hearts of the Patriarchs, and later sustained by His Divine Messages through the Prophets, and finally brought to perfection through the Holy Spirit by His convocation of the Apostles, and where His Body and Blood is offered as Sacrifice for the Holy Communion with God, and where the Sacramental Blessings of the Holy Spirit are bestowed upon and communicated to all believers."
True sons and True daughters of Ethiopia, through the inspiration and invigoration of the Holy Spirit, are called to liberate, not only this victimized "Ethiopian Coptic Orthodox Tewah'do Church", that is "the House of the Priesthood" in the Constitution of Ethiopia: The Kingdom of God, but also the other two component parts of the Divine Kingdom, namely, "the House of the People" and "the House of the Administration", from their present domination by the Coptic (Egypian) Orthodox Church and the incessant influence of the Devil, finally to restore all the three Houses to their original, inherent and legitimate status of the age old Ethiopianhood.
Based on this Divine Truth, the answers to your questions are as follows, in the order you put them:
1) No, the Ethiopian Church does not consider celibacy superior to marriage in the eyes of God and thus for reward in the life to come. In fact, our Church of Ethiopia recognizes that it is the Sacrament of the Holy Matrimony (Marriage), and not celibacy, that was created, established and sanctified by God originally in the persons of Adam and Eve, and finally confirmed by the presence of the Incarnate God, Our Lord Jesus Christ with His Holy Mother The Virgin Mary, at the wedding ceremony in Cana of Galilee.
This is best defined in our Prayer of the Testimonial of Ethiopians on the Holy Covenant (posted on our website) that says, "We Ethiopians believe in our Ethiopianhood of the Holy Covenant that embodied and conserved the Seven Divine Covenants the Lord granted to humanity. Our God, in the Era of the Genesis, founded the Ethiopian Entity on the Covenant of the Soul, through the Matrimony of Adam and Eve."
2) The ordained members of the Church (priests), even if those who deserve it need to be revered because of their ritual sacredness, are not to be considered better individuals (morally and humanly superior) than the other members of Ethiopia: The Kingdom of God, the Church, being the House of the Priesthood, and one of the three branches of the Divine Kingdom. The priests are simply discharging their duties of the priesthood as a vocation (profession or occupation), just like any other member of the House of the People, i.e., the laity, and of the House of the Administration, i.e., the executive. Let me elaborate for you this point.
In our Church of Ethiopia, no one, either by custom or tradition, or by any man-made means, has the authority to claim to be above the Word of God inscribed in Scriptures, and interpret it in his or her way (2Pet. 1/20-21). And this Word of God is inscribed, not only in Scriptures (the Holy Bible), but also, more importantly, in our individual souls, i.e., in our hearts and minds, when we were, initially, created in the image of God, and finally, when we were born of God in the Holy Spirit, through the Sacrament of Baptism. You must realize that each Divine Word reveals Itself to every human-being when the latter presents himself or herself to God in complete Truth and in faithful Penitence, and makes Itself fully understood by him or her. This is the Nature and Power of the Word of God in the Holy Spirit.
So, any reference that one need to quote from the Old and New Testaments is Divinely meant to address every person, including yourself, who, believes and proclaims in public, that Jesus, born of The Holy Virgin Mary, is The Christ and The Son of God, just like St. Peter the Apostle and the Ethiopian Eunuch. As a result of such conviction, proclamation and performance, that person himself or herself becomes the Ark of the Covenant, (Ts'llat and Tabot), the Altar, the Sanctuary and Temple or the Church of the Holy Spirit. The Divine Pronouncement made by Our Lord Jesus Christ to St. Peter is not limited to the latter only, but to any and every human being who has the will and determination to declare publicly his or her faith in line with that of St. Peter. It did not take much time for this same incident to take place: The question put forward by the Apostle Philip and the positive response given by the Ethiopian Eunuch forthwith, followed by his request to be baptized immediately, was simply a recurrence of that episode that took place earlier between Our Lord Jesus Christ and St. Peter. (Mt. 16/13-19; Act. 8/26-39).
You must know that any Ethiopian, including yourself, when he/she believes to be a True Ethiopian of the Holy Covenant, he/she will realize that he/she is already filled with the Grace of God that empowers him/her to believe that he/she is crowned with the Holy Spiritual Birth from God, as Son or Daughter of God, and with the Priesthood, and with the partnership of the Priestly Kingship of Jesus Christ and the Maternal Queenship of The Virgin Mary. This heavenly status was procured because of our ancestor, the First Ethiopian Melchizedeq of the Old Testament and the Last One of the New Testament, who is the Consummate Ethiopian, Jesus Christ, born of the Consummate Ethiopian, The Virgin Mary.
3) In our Church of Ethiopia, as explained above, no member is different from the other except by profession; and no dabtara and an individual among the liqawunt is immune from the criterion that constitutes an Ethiopian, which means they have either to attain the status of the clergy, i.e., they have to be ordained members or Holy Communion partakers of the Church.
Just a reminder for you: If it is me whom you meant to address as "Father!", please do not do so henceforth, because, while I do not deserve it in any way, more importantly, it is a transgression, on my part, of the Word of Our Lord, Jesus Christ that proscribes His Followers "not to call anyone on earth our father, for, One is our Father, and He is who is in Heaven." (Mt. 23/9) So, as I am simply a Servant of Ethiopia: The Kingdom of God, it suffices for me to be addressed only as "My Kah'n!" or, "N'bure-Id."
N'bure-Id Ermias Kebbede Welde-Iyyesus
EthKoG Servant[/url]
ቅዱስ ኪዳን
አዲስ
አዲስ

Postby -...- » Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:12 am

እልልልልልልልልልልልልልልልልልልልልልልልልል
አጆሀ አጆሀ ሽማግሌ

ሽማግሌው በሰባት አመቱ መልስ አገኘ
ሞቼ እየተነሳሁ ልሙት እንደገና
አንድ ሞት ላገሬ አይበቃትምና
-...-
ኮትኳች
ኮትኳች

Postby ቅዱስ ኪዳን » Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:40 pm

ሰላም አኃዉ [ወንድሞች] ወአኃት [እኅቶች]፡ ኢትዮጵያና ኢትዮጵያዊነትን በሚመለከት፡ ኢትዮጵያዊው! እና ኢትዮጵያዊቷ! በማንነታቸው ፍለጋ ውስጥ፡ እውነተኛ ማንነታቸውን፡ ይኽውም፡ እውነተኛ ኢትዮጵያዊነታቸውን፡ ያገኙ ዘንድ፡ ይኽን መገናኛ [http://www.ethkogserv.org/] አጥብቀው በብርቱ እንዲያሥሡት፡ በአክብሮት እጠይቃለሁ!። እግዚአብሔር ይስጥልኝ።
ቅዱስ ኪዳን
አዲስ
አዲስ

Return to Warka Culture and Literature - ዋርካ ባህልና ሥነ ጽሑፍ